Tuesday 27 November 2012

Not enough photos

A while ago, quite a while ago, something dreadful happened.
My laptop screen turned blue, then went weird. We called the computer doctor and shipped it on up to them and they told me the bad news - my hard drive was unrepairable and we had lost everything. Well, obviously not our flat, money or anything actually real, but we had lost memories and music and photographs and all sorts of documents.
Thankfully it was only a year of stuff. It was my own silly fault and I regret it all, it was like losing a dear friend and not remembering any of the memories.

I feel like more and more photographs should be taken, constantly. I have a gadget called an iPhone (you may have heard of it) and use a thing called Instagram (just a plug - annanee89). I like to take photos on that so that there is a record somewhere.

A couple of months ago we bought two 'new' cameras and received Craig's dad's old camera. A Canon A1, Canon AE1 and a Ricoh. All 35mm film, all beautiful!

I've had to slow down a bit. Using film when at university was lovely, I loved it. I had to take time to create the image and take care, I wouldn't see the photograph instantly and I loved that. It was mysterious and tense, waiting for the photograph to appear.

Using film again has been wonderful. I've only had one film back so far, but looking through the photographs I felt the same excitement as when those prints were in a tray covered in chemicals.

I found that when taking the photographs I took more time, one roll lasted about 2 weeks, a lot less photographs that would have been taken if using my digital, but the feel and the sentiment behind the images mean a lot more.

Only negative (mwhaha) is that...there's not enough photographs.

A day at the Temple




England vs Fiji



Craig's graduation




 
Poole Harbour

(All photos in this post taken on Canon A1 with Afga Vista 100 film)