Monday 13 August 2012

Birthday Week(s) Part 2

After that fantastic birthday morning from Craig, I had a lot to live up to. We had a quick conversation about our birthdays a little while ago:
Me: 'So, every year for the rest of forever I'm going to have 3 days to top whatever you've done for my birthday, which you will have had a whole year to prepare for?'
Craig: 'Yes.'

I had a vague idea but nothing set in stone, but I hoped for good weather and ignored the suggestions made by colleagues. After taking an afternoon off work to clean the flat and prep everything needed, I think it worked.

I decided for alfresco dining.



We don't have much of a garden, but a patio instead, but it's south facing (I think) and it gets a lot of sun in the evening. We ate home made burgers and chunky fries, and drank chocolate milk from the wonderful milk bottles we picked up in Lyme Regis not long ago.



NB: the bottle of wine was left there by our kind landlord while I went inside to prepare for dinner. It was returned but with great thanks for their thoughtfulness.

After dinner a stroll along the beach was in order, and we chose to go to one of my favourite local stretches of sand. These wonderful beach huts make my day.




To end the night we drove down to the Town Quay, where fireworks were being held. I pulled a picnic blanket, tea lights and marshmallows from my bag, which we toasted. Craig also had his last present of the evening: my cake in a jar!

This weekend past we ventured to Cornwall for the Boardmasters festival. I think one highlight was not just the music and the food, but when we walked past a group of people staring at a small screen and shouting. We stopped and looked just as Mo Farah ran across the line. We celebrated with this group. I love the Olympics and how much they've brought people together.

And this: